The 42nd Spec Ops Bn

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the 42nd Special Operations Battalion.

Greetings! Welcome to the home of The 42nd Special Operations Battalion!
We are a gaming community currently active in: LoL, BFBC2, AA 2/3, CoD: MW/MW2/BO, TF2 . . . and many more!
We are always accepting applications. Register and Enlist today!
Temporary Teamspeak Server: www.carns.com, Port: 9987

Site Navigation

Hello all!

Tue 01 Mar 2011, 6:33 pm by Walker

I see you've found your way to the new (hopeful) home of The 42nd!

A definitive place for members and supporters of The 42nd Spec Ops Bn to go has been lacking for some years now; websites have come and gone like the... well... something that comes and goes often.

But! I've taken it upon myself to go forth and create! Lo and behold, this is what came out.

Yes, the domain name is meh, and …

[ Full reading ]

5 posters

Hello all!

Walker
    Walker
    Admin

Hello all! Empty Hello all!

Post by Walker Tue 01 Mar 2011, 6:33 pm

I see you've found your way to the new (hopeful) home of The 42nd!

A definitive place for members and supporters of The 42nd Spec Ops Bn to go has been lacking for some years now; websites have come and gone like the... well... something that comes and goes often.

But! I've taken it upon myself to go forth and create! Lo and behold, this is what came out.

Yes, the domain name is meh, and also, there are ads (oh no!) But this is stable, and free. I've also managed to limit the advertisements (that banner ad at the top goes away once you're registered, I think) and other "HAY DIS R FR33 FORUM!!11" junk, and will continue to work on it. As far as I can tell, this host/forum-ing software dealio appears to be pretty spiffy, and offers a lot of tools and features I wouldn't have expected from a free forum -- like Chatbox, calendar, and wtf I can switch skins and even forum software in an instant O_o.

ANYWAYS. This is what we've got. Feel free (please, I ENCOURAGE YOU) to register and begin community-izing, the portal/news feed and forums are up and running for the most part. Also, I'd love to get youse guise's input on the site/skin/colors/features whatever else I might be able to work on, as the site is very much still under construction.

LONG LIVE THE 42ND!
    Walker
    Walker
    Admin

Hello all! Empty Re: Hello all!

Post by Walker Thu 03 Mar 2011, 3:25 pm

You can comment on Announcements, btw.
    Warbington
    Warbington
    Soldier

Post by Warbington Thu 03 Mar 2011, 3:26 pm

HOOAH Walker! Thanks a bunch! Hope to see you in game sometime!
    rampantandroid

Post by rampantandroid Fri 04 Mar 2011, 12:58 am

Also, I'm going to point something out.While going through my emails, I discovered that in fact, this forum system is storing passwords IN THE CLEAR. Whoever owns this hosting now has everyone's passwords in plain text format. If you used a password for this forum that you also use for a bank account or other sensitive info, I highly recommend you change all of your passwords (changing your password on this forum is not sufficient.)I'm sure everyone remembers Zabriskie's little stunt. That can happen all over again. I swear to god it should be illegal to store passwords in plain text. You should be fucking required to at LEAST MD5 + salt every password.
    Niarbeht
    Niarbeht
    Admin

Post by Niarbeht Fri 04 Mar 2011, 1:47 am

Welp, I tried to perform a password recovery to see if it'd pull the ostensibly-plaintext password from the database or provide a new one (think about this one for a minute). Couldn't do it, though, as apparently password recovery has been disabled in the admin control panel.

Walker, we need to perform a test here. Please enable the setting-majigger that allows stuffy-guk to happen. Plox?!
    Walker
    Walker
    Admin

Post by Walker Fri 04 Mar 2011, 1:56 am

k, done, go
    Niarbeht
    Niarbeht
    Admin

Post by Niarbeht Fri 04 Mar 2011, 1:58 am

Yep, confirmed, the forum spits out a new randomly-generated password rather than pulling from a database. I imagine what happens here is that when the forum software gets your password it doesn't _IMMEDIATELY_ encrypt it and send it into the database. It instead e-mails you your own password, THEN encrypts it into the database.

This is probably the case. I could be wrong, but that's why I explored the issue further.
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Fri 04 Mar 2011, 1:59 am

It still is a concern, and I posted on the support forums asking for clarification on password encryption.

EDIT: Blarg. Forgot I logged in as admin. lol.
    Niarbeht
    Niarbeht
    Admin

Post by Niarbeht Tue 15 Mar 2011, 5:47 am

Did anyone respond yet?
    Walker
    Walker
    Admin

Post by Walker Tue 15 Mar 2011, 1:38 pm

One did, directing me to PM a certain mod at the help forums, however there was a post limit on PM privileges, so I had to ask for that to be fixed. That was after a few days, finally sent the PM... no response since.

:/
    Niarbeht
    Niarbeht
    Admin

Post by Niarbeht Tue 15 Mar 2011, 4:33 pm

lol!
    Walker
    Walker
    Admin

Post by Walker Tue 15 Mar 2011, 4:52 pm